By Bree Collar, Sentinel Staff Writer
The Fourth of July Independence Day celebrations go back to the 18th century and the American Revolutiony.
Fannin County and surrounding areas will kick off 2019 events celebrating our country’s Independence with fireworks, pancake breakfast, Miners Homecoming festivities, parades and lots more. The following event schedule can help guide residents and visitors through events beginning July 4 through July 6.
Events over the holiday include:
● Old Timers 4th of July Parade, hosted by Blue Ridge
Business Association, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. in downtown Blue
Ridge and East and West Main streets. Seed & Feed Marching
Abominable band in parade.
● July 4 at 11.59 a.m. Independence Day Ceremony, Fannin
Veterans Memorial Park, Blue Ridge (All Veterans &
● Riverfest weekend and Fireworks, in downtown McCaysville,
July 4; July 5 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and fireworks at 9
p.m. and July 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Including live music,
craft festival and food vendors.
● Fourth of July Observance at Epworth Community Club
from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., including pancake breakfast for $6.
● Blue Ridge Freedom Run-5K hosted by Georgia Multisports,
from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. at Faith Presbyterian Church.
Runners welcome to wear red white and blue gear.
● Habitat for Humanity Pancake Breakfast, July 4 parade
route breakfast, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Faith Presbyterian
Church, proceeds to benefit Habitat for Humanity of Fannin
& Gilmer counties.
● 44th Annual Miners Homecoming in the Copper Basin,
Friday, July 5, 4 to 7 p.m. Music, food and fun at Burra Hoist
House; 7 p.m. Gospel music night with The O’Neals, The
Dunn Family and Matthew Roach.
● Lake Blue Ridge fourth annual Boat Parade, July 5th
from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., hosted by Lake Blue Ridge Civic
Association, viewable from Lake Blue Ridge Recreation Area
Green Creek, from boat, Morganton Point Recreation area,
Lake Blue Ridge Marina, Lake Blue Ridge Dam. To join register
early for $35. Prizes awarded, information e-mail info@
● Copper Basin/McCaysville fireworks, July 5, viewable
from almost anywhere in the county.
● Saturday, July 6 at 1:00 p.m. HUEY: Helicopter Display/
Open House, Fannin Veterans Memorial Park, Blue Ridge
● Lake Blue Ridge Fireworks, July 6, 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.,
hosted by Lake Blue Ridge Civic Association. View from Morganton
Point Recreation area, by boat on Lake Blue Ridge
near Lake Blue Ridge Dam, Lake Blue Ridge Marina.
● Saturday, July 6 from 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Breakfast at
Ducktown Masonic Lodge, $6 adults and $3 kids, 8 a.m. to 10
a.m. Museum pancake breakfast at Burra Hoist House, $5
adults, $3 kids, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free admission to Ducktown
Basin Museum; 10:15 a.m. Patriotic Walking Parade
on Main St; 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Copper Company Workers Reunion
at Burra Hoist House; 11 a.m. Great American Rubber
Duck Race on Spruce Street; 12 p.m. Miners Homecoming
Beauty Pageant on W.R. Lee Stage; 1 p.m. Ducktown/Copper
Basin High School Reunion at Copper Basin High School; 3
p.m. Dusk Kids, Alley behind Glenn Springs Building; 4 p.m.
Amateur Talent Show; 7 p.m. Southern Rock & Country.
● Saturday, July 6, Ducktown Fireworks, 9:30 p.m